How many of you are aware of about earth hour today? Why we mark an hour for mother earth? I think the answer lies in global warming which is due to green house effect. In simple words, Global Warming can be defined as the increase of the average temperature on Earth. And because of human activities the earth’s natural balance has lost. Level of CO2 has increased more than 30% than the pre-industrial level the trees can photosynthesize. As a result the world is overheating. Out of the 20 warmest years on record, 19 have occurred since 1980. The three hottest years ever observed have all occurred in the last eight years. Research done by Intergovernmental Penal on Climate Change (IPCC), by 2000 scientists found that man are responsible for Global warming.
- Burning fossil fuel- With less than 5% of population the USA produces 21.1% of all CO2 emitted, china 28%, India and Japan above 4%., haven’t sign Kyoto protocol yet!
- Deforestation-jungles and rainforests were the lungs of the world.
- Predicted average global temperatures would rise 2.5 to 10.4 degrees by the end of this century. The rise from 1901 to 2005 was just 1.2 degrees.
- Climate change-monsoon disasters
- Melting of glaciers on north and South Pole. Disappearance of nations, cities and islands
- Biodiversity-more than I million species extinction- agricultural crops-economic consequences.
- Results in the extinction of 30% of species and the loss of 30% of coastal wetlands.
What you can do:
- Raise your voice, first start with yourself
- Reduce! Reuse! Recycle!
- Saving electricity, conserving fuels, Planting more trees, etc..
- Buy and encourage environmentally friendly products
Scientists say that we must reduce our carbon emissions by at least 80% by 2050.Reduction does not remove effects at once as gases and its impact lasts more than 200years. To visualize the effects of global warming and its consequences I recommend to you watch the Oscar nominated” inconvenient truth” from former vice president of USA, Al Gore. Do not let our selfishness destroy the moth earth and extinctions of species. Everyone can make a difference! After all, it will be our next generation that will feel the effects.